Belt, DGS Bearcats advance to semifinals

Charlie Denison
Article Image Alt Text

DGS guard Rhet Woodhall goes to the hole during the Bearcats' decisive victory against Roy-Winifred Thursday afternoon.
Photo by Jackie Jensen

On opening night of the District 8-C Basketball tournament Thursday at the Fergus High School Fieldhouse, the better teams showed up to play, jumping to commanding leads early and not letting up.

Kicking off the action for boy’s basketball, the Belt Huskies gave the Winnett-Grass Range Rams no chance to make it interesting, dominating defensively, holding the Rams to two points in the first quarter. Offensively, the Huskies started the game with 20 unanswered points.

The Rams fought harder in the second quarter, going on a 6-0 run, but at halftime they faced a 23-point deficit, and they couldn’t recover.

When play resumed in the third quarter, the Huskies continued to attack, extending their lead to 31 heading into the fourth quarter. In the last period, the Huskies got hot and stayed hot, scoring 21 points, in the quarter, including three three-pointers.

Nevertheless, the Rams kept fighting, pushing themselves on both ends of the floor. As they struggled to get anything going offensively, they tried to shut down the Husky offense. On the last play, they were successful, as Caden McCarthy blocked Trey Heitzman, keeping their deficit under 50 to close the game. The final score was 59-11. Belt advanced to take on the Tri-City Titans in semi-final action on Friday. Husky forward Jaren Maki led all scorers with 15 points. Keagan Stroop also scored in double figures with 12. Winnett-Grass Range forward Cameron Wollman led the Rams with five points. Ryan Drollinger, Connor Shaw and Zane Stahl all scored two apiece.


Bearcats too much for Outlaws

The Denton-Geyser-Stanford Bearcats dismantled the Roy-Winifred Outlaws Thursday night, jumping to a quick and decisive 18-1 lead after one quarter. Forward Riley Donaldson scored 7 of those first 18 points, leading the team as they got off to a hot start, but it was guard Rhet Woodhall who really set the tone, scoring 23 of the Bearcats’ 64 points, including 14 in the second half. The Bearcats were hungry and the Bearcats were big, making the game difficult for the Outlaws, who struggled to find answers for being outsized. The Outlaws tried to slow down the Bearcat attack by making them earn it from the charity stripe, but the team shot 60.5 percent from the line. Center Sean Bronoc, who was particularly formidable on the offensive glass, scored 8 of his 14 points from the stripe.

The Bearcats were consistent in their attack as the Outlaws struggled to get it going, but in the third quarter the Outlaws gave it a push, scoring 22 points, narrowing the Bearcat lead to 16. They got hot, hitting five threes in the quarter. At one point, the Outlaws went on a 14-2 run.

But it was too little too late as the Bearcats came back in the final score, outscoring the Outlaws 16-9, winning the game by 23. The final score: 64-41.

Woodhall led all scorers with 23 points. Cody Bergum led the Outlaws with 10 points.

The Bearcats advanced to play the Centerville Miners in the semifinal round on Friday.





Do you think the coronavirus will spread into Central Montana?