DGS, Winnett-Grass Range win opening-round games

Even though the weather was uncooperative, all of the basketball teams from 8C were able to get to Great Falls to compete at the District 8C Basketball Tournament. In the first game of the tournament at Great Falls High, Denton-Geyser-Stanford defeated Tri-City (Moore, Hobson, Judith Gap), 66-47, at noon on Thursday. In the final boys’ opening-round game on Thursday, Winnett-Grass Range used a stingy defense to score a 44-31 win over Roy-Winifred.

DGS jumped out to a 12-9 first quarter lead over the Titans. After Zackary Thomas tied the game at 12-12 to start the second quarter, the Bearcats scored the next 11 points to take a 23-12 lead. Points came from DGS’s Kordell Carpenter with a 2-point and a 3-point basket, and from Rhet Woodhall on a field goal and two free throws. Thomas finally broke the Titan scoring drought with two free throws. Woodhall came back with a 3-pointer to give DGS a 26-14 lead. At halftime, the Bearcats led, 33-22.

DGS pushed its lead to 51-34 by the end of the third quarter.

Thomas hit his second three of the game to begin the fourth quarter. After DGS Coach Wyatt Woodhall took a timeout with 5:26 left in the game, Parker Donaldson hit a 2-pointer and then a 3-pointer to essentially put the game out of reach of the Titans. Two free throws by Riley Donaldson and a field goal by Jake Solomon pushed the Bearcat lead to 63-37 with under three minutes left in the game.

With the score 66-37, the Titans scored the final 10 points of the contest. Coach Woodhall emptied his bench with just under two minutes left in the game.

Carpenter led the Bearcats in scoring with 20 points. Rhet Woodhall had 15 points and 11 assists in the win. Riley Donaldson added 10 points in the win.

Tri-City was led by 13 points from Thomas and 8 points from Tucker Walter. All of Walter’s points came in the fourth quarter.

The 66-47 win over Tri-City moved the Bearcats into a semi-final matchup against Centerville on Friday afternoon. The Miners had an opening-round bye.

Stahl scores 16 points in win over Outlaws

Zane Stahl led Winnett-Grass Range in scoring with 16 points in the Rams’ 44-31 win over Roy-Winifred. The game was low scoring with the first quarter, ending with a score of 7-6 in favor of the Rams.

A Charlie Keith 3-pointer put W-GR up by 4 points to begin the second quarter. Field goals by R-W’s Cody Bergum and Justin Stulc cut the Ram lead to 11-10. With the Rams up 17-12 on a field goal by Mathew Weller, W-GR scored on a free throw by Keith and a field goal and free throw by Stahl to take a 21-14 lead into the locker room at halftime.

The Outlaws cut the Ram lead to 26-20 to begin the second half. After Ryan Russell scored on a 3-pointer to make the score 29-23, Stahl answered with a three of his own. The Rams scored the final five points of the third quarter to take a 37-23 lead into the final quarter.

Keith hit two free throws and Jacob Jessen scored on a field goal to put the Rams up, 41-23. Then W-GR began taking time off the clock with each of their next possessions. Tyler Fordyce hit one free throw and a field goal, and Stulc added a field goal to cut the W-GR lead to 41-28, but by then the Rams had taken over six minutes off the clock. The Outlaws tried to foul to get back in the game, but the Rams hit just enough free throws to take the 44-31 win.

Joining Stahl in double figures was Jessen with 10 points. Keith added 9 more in the win. The Rams only committed eight fouls during the entire contest, while the Outlaws committed 21. The Rams made 14 of 23 free throws, while R-W only made two of six from the free-throw line.

Stulc led R-W in scoring with 12 points. Bergum added 7 points and four assists in the contest.

The W-GR win moved the Rams into a semi-final game against Belt on Friday afternoon. Roy-Winifred does not play again until 8 a.m. on Saturday.



When do you think the snow will finally be melted in Lewistown?