Howard George Hughes

Howard George Hughes died at his home in Stowe, Ohio, on May 3, 2016, from advanced stage of milocondevel myopathy and inadequate immune system.

Howard Hughes was born on Nov. 10, 1940, at St. Joseph’s hospital in Lewistown, the son of Homer and Charlene Hughes. Howard spent his early childhood years through the end of first grade at the vast Hughes family cattle and horse ranch in Petroleum County, where his father was a cowboy and horse wrangler. During the summer between Howard’s first and second grade years, the Hughes family, which by then had added Howard’s little sister, Jan, had moved to Lewistown where Homer Hughes became a car and truck salesman for Cooley Chevrolet. The family moved into a white two-story home on a double lot located in the 300 block of Hawthorne Avenue. This would be the family home until after Howard finished college.

Howard completed the second grade through the sixth grade at Garfield Elementary School, and the seventh and eighth grade at Lewistown Junior High. Howard excelled in sports and was an Honor Roll student. At Fergus High School, he continued his athletic career, where he proudly lettered in golf, football and basketball. Plus, he was an Honor Roll student and enjoyed singing with many musical groups. Howard graduated with the FHS class of 1958.

Howard was always proud of his father, Homer Hughes’ accomplishments as a salesman; ask Howard what the very best car or truck ever made in the world was (and if you didn’t ask him, he would tell you without asking) --  it was, of course, a Chevrolet. Homer won a national sales contest in 1947 after selling 47 new cars in one day. This record has never been broken, although Homer broke several other sales records. Howard would beam with pride when he spoke of his father’s sales records. Chevrolet was indeed a Hughes family trademark.

Following high school, Howard graduated from Multnamah Bible College in Portland, Ore. In 1965 he earned a bachelor of theology degree from Portland State University, and in 1967 a bachelor of psychology from the same school. In 1972 Howard was awarded the prestigious Masters Degree in Psychiatric Social Work from Portland State.

Howard met the lady who was to become his wife, Marilyn Hughes, when he first finished Bible college. They married in 1964 and then had two children, Jennifer and Joel. Howard worked as a counselor for the Portland Juvenile Court; and then, he worked at the Children’s Unit at Cedar Hills Hospital.

When their son Joel graduated from college, Howard and Marilyn moved to Spokane, where they planned to retire. There Howard worked as a licensed clinical social worker for a United Way agency, plus he developed a very lucrative private counseling practice. But his health began to deteriorate quickly and he had to give up his private practice and limit his agency work greatly.

In August of 2004 Howard and Marilyn moved to Stowe, Ohio, where their son and his family were living. They purchased a condominium in Stowe very close to where their son was living. They became involved with the neo-x-nos Christian Fellowship where Howard’s memorial service was held. 

No services are planned for Howard Hughes in Central Montana. The members of the FHS class of 1958 simply ask you to join them in remembering Howard from time to time. Howard was preceded in death by his parents. He is survived by his wife, Marilyn, and his son and daughter, and their respective families plus his sister, Jan Silverling of Helena, Mont.

Obituary submitted by John R Foster, FHS Class of 1958.



What advice would you give to a high school graduate?