Ryan J. Simpson

Ryan J. Simpson, age 32, died March 4, 2017 at his home in Butte, Montana. He was born Dec. 5, 1984 in Lewistown, the first of three sons of Dan and Lauren Simpson of Moore. From a very young age, Ryan was curious about everything and loved to figure out how things worked, take them apart and put them back together again.

Growing up on the farm in Central Montana, Ryan enjoyed spending time outdoors, hunting and fishing with his father. He especially enjoyed working on mechanical things wherever he went. When he was six he took apart a broken electric mixer to see how it worked. He helped on the farm by always fixing things, and helped his dad repair and rebuild single engine airplanes. He could listen to an engine and hear if something wasn’t running right. 

When he was 12 years old he received his first computer from his uncle and he had found his niche. When he was 14, he built his first working computer from parts he collected, competing in the Billings Deaconess Science Fair as an eighth-grader and winning best of show. He won numerous awards at science fairs throughout his high school years. 

He graduated from Moore High School in 2003 and then attended Montana Tech in Butte, working toward his Information Technology degree. He earned his A+ certification in computer repair when a sophomore in Butte and worked for the computer department at the college for several years. One of the highlights of those years was his work on the audio/visual (AV) and Access Grid Node (AGN) Communications System for a new 24-seat computer lab to build a classroom of the future when he was working on campus.

He began an internship with the Community, Counseling and Correctional Services, Inc. when in his third year in Butte, which led to a seven-year career running their IT department. He worked on many computer projects for the company, including installing and networking all the computers at the Nexus Treatment facility in Lewistown. He then worked for First Call, a computer support firm in Butte, as a network engineer. Approximately three years ago he decided to go out on his own, providing computer support, networking and trouble shooting in the Butte area. He worked for engineering, mining and other firms in the Butte area.

The great love of his life was experimenting and he devoted much of his life to his experiments, building many of them with his good friends in Butte. They built Tesla coils, a hydrogen generator, and oxygen generator torch and hydrogen cell. His friend said they built “hundreds of experiments and they all worked!” Ryan could solve complicated problems for multi-million dollar companies over the phone.

Ryan lost his beloved dog and best friend, Marley, in November 2016 and mourned that loss deeply, lighting a lantern by his dog’s grave every night. Marley had been his constant companion and they enjoyed going camping and four-wheeling in the mountains around Butte.

The family wishes to correct misinformation that was in the media regarding Ryan’s passing in Butte. When he died, there was an explosion in his home which was created when a homemade clay target that he made to take to the shooting range for target practice, and which accidentally exploded from muzzle blast. False and libelous reporting by the news media has hurt the family beyond words.

Ryan is survived by his parents of Moore; his two brothers; his paternal grandparents,  maternal grandparents, and numerous aunts, uncles and cousins.

A private family funeral service will be held in Moore with internment at the Moore Cemetery.



What is your favorite part of the Fair?